Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed by the selection of father's day cards out there. Except for the schmaltzy ones, everything was geared towards dads who love A) sports, B) power tools, C) boobs. My dad has no interest in sports, likes power tools okay but seems to see them mainly as a means to an end, and isn't a pig. My dad cooks and cleans. He isn't lazy, and he doesn't like sitting around watching tv. He takes good care of himself and his family. He doesn't have a particularly bawdy sense of humour.

So where's the card for THIS kind of dad?? I'd've gotten him one of the disgustingly sentimental ones, but I always feel uncomfortable giving somebody *else*'s sentimental words to someone I love.

So I ended up giving him something with a puppy and a poo joke, because it was the only "funny" card that actually made me laugh. And who doesn't love a good poo joke? (and, of course, I added my own personalized schmaltz, which is the important part anyway)

Seriously, though, it makes me wonder about other people's dads... Are sports-lovin', beer-chuggin', boob-ogglin', power-toolin' dads really such a majority that it justifies the overwhelming majority of father's day cards being geared toward them? Or are the people who make greeting cards really just that unoriginal?

At any rate... Thanks for all the home-cooked meals, for the emotional and financial support, for being more sympathetic about my menstrual cramps than most people of any gender, and for twenty-five years (and counting) of unconditional love, Da.

And thanks for not being a stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment