Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Illustration Friday - Swarm

It's been a while since I've felt inspired by Illustration Friday. The word this week reminded me of a series of drawings I always wanted to do but never did, so I finally let one of these strange visions out. Lord only knows where or when I first started having this idea of butterflies as things of menace as well as beauty, but it's certainly been with me for at least the past few years. Someday I'll have to scan some of my etchings from my last year in art school. I started writing this whole visual fairytale about an androgynous girl being attacked by a faceless, tuxedoed magician figure and his butterflies...

They really do swarm, though. Seriously, type monarch butterfly swarm into google image search. Then tell me you wouldn't be terrified if you saw that gorgeous insect army descending.

4 comments:

  1. I think I'd be "bugged" too if they were crawling all over my head. Cute illo though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and unique! I would love this to happen to me, and I would prefer it to be butterflies, as opposed to bees! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done. It would be a bit disconcerting to be swarmed by butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I would definitely prefer butterflies to bees if I had to be swarmed by one.

    ReplyDelete